A person shall not act as a flight engineer of an aircraft registered in Kenya unless that person holds a flight engineer license with appropriate ratings. Flight engineers assist aircraft pilots and engineering maintenance staff by operating aircraft instruments and systems.
Whilst the license authorises you to undertake the duties of a flight engineer, you must also be endorsed for the specific class of aircraft that you will be operating in. Eligibility requirements.
An applicant for a flight engineer license shall :-
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
- Possess a valid Class 1 Medical Certificate
- Have passed a knowledge test whose results’ validity shall be eighteen (18) months after passing the examination.
- Obtain and log the flight time used to satisfy the aeronautical experience requirements on an aeroplane with a type rating on which a flight engineer is required as follows;
- At least three years (3 years) of practical experience in aircraft maintenance and at least five (5) hours of flight training in the duties of a flight engineer; or
- Graduation from at least a two and half-years specialised aeronautical training course in aircraft maintenance and
- At least six months of practical experience in maintaining aircraft and aircraft engines and
- At least five hours of flight training in the duties of a flight engineer; or
- A degree in aeronautical or avionics engineering from a college, university or engineering school acceptable to the Authority, at least one year of practical experience in aircraft maintenance and at least five hours of flight training in the duties of a flight engineer; or
- A degree in electrical or mechanical engineering from a college, university or engineering school acceptable to the Authority at least one year of practical experience in aircraft maintenance and at least five hours of flight training in the duties of a flight engineer; or
- At least two hundred hours of flight time in a transport category aeroplane as pilot-in-command or a co-pilot performing the functions of a pilot-in-command under the supervision of a pilot-in-command;
- More than 100 hours of flight time as a flight engineer; or
- Within the ninety-day period before the application, successful completion of an approved flight engineer ground and flight course.
- An applicant for a flight engineer license with a type rating shall pass a practical test on the duties of a flight engineer in the type of aircraft for which a rating is sought or an approved synthetic flight trainer replicating such an aircraft;
- An applicant for an additional aircraft class, category or type rating flight engineer license, shall—
- Pass the knowledge test and practical test that is appropriate to the class category or type of aircraft for which an additional rating is sought; and
- Satisfactorily complete an approved flight engineer training program that is appropriate to the additional class rating sought.
- Pass the English Language Proficiency exam and attain either of;
- Operational Level (Level 4); Valid for 3 years
- Extended Level (Level 5); Valid for 6 years
- Expert Level (Level 6); Valid for Life
- The following forms should be duly filled and signed;
- A properly completed General Application Form
- Aeronautical experience form
- Summary of flying hours form
- A knowledge test results slip;
- Two (2) current passport size photographs (full face) whose size should be 2cm by 2.5cm;
- Records substantiating the experience shown on the application Form in form of a logbook.
- Payment of the prescribed fees.
Requirements for Renewal of the License
- The applicant should complete the General Application form;
- A well completed summary of the flying experience form;
- The required renewal hours i.e. 6 hours.
- A valid Class I medical certificate;
- Present a certified logbook or other flight record to substantiate the required hours (Make copy of the relevant log book pages for the licensing file)
- Pay the renewal prescribed fees. Kshs. 8,000
The Flight Engineers’ License validity depends on the medical certificate held.